Fun 4th DessertsWednesday, June 30th, 2010
It’s time to ring in the fourth of July with friends and family around the BBQ while awaiting the local fireworks show. I found some fun desserts to make at Kaboose (http://recipes.slides.kaboose.com/288-july-4th-party-plates-treats) that are sure to add the perfect finale to your gathering.
2 Boxes Vanilla Cake, made into 20 cupcakes
2 (8 oz.) packages of cream cheese
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 t. vanilla extract
2 c. confectioners’ sugar, sifted
25-30 strawberries, cut in half and thinly sliced
3/4 c. blueberries
1. Prepare cupcakes according to package.
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together cream cheese, vanilla extract and butter until smooth. Slowly add in confectioner’s sugar. Beat until sugar is thoroughly combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To assemble cake:
1. Ice each cupcake. Decorate 4 of the cupcakes with 4 rows of blueberries. Decorate the remaining 16 cupcakes with strawberries. On each of the remaining cupcakes, place two strawberry slices side by side, in 4 rows.
Line iced cupcakes side by side on a large serving platter, placing the four blueberry cupcakes two over two in the upper left hand corner of the flag. Cupcakes should be grouped into 4 rows of 5. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Berry No Bake Cheesecake
- 1 package Knox unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese
- 1/2 c.sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 t. orange zest
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1 purchased graham cracker crust
- 1 c. cherry pie filling
- 1/2 c. blueberries
- Sprinkle gelatin into hot water and whisk until fully dissolved. Set aside.
- With a mixer beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, orange zest and heavy cream on medium speed, until well incorporated, about 1 minute. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl and switch mixer speed to low. Slowly pour in dissolved gelatin and beat until smooth. Pour into graham cracker crust and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- When pie is fully set, remove from refrigerator and top with cherry pie filling and blueberries.